Explore TakingITGlobal's collection of lesson plans, research and data, videos, and educational games! Start by selecting a subject or topic:
In this activity, students will research a political issue that is highlighted and discussed on the TakingITGlobal website. Students will pick one issue and write a one page satire on the event/issue. Part 2 of the assignment is for the students to create their own political cartoon using Photoshop or similar software.
Time Required: 120 minutes
- Students will analyze a political issue using satire
- Students will create a visual interpretation of their satirical writing
- Students will understand the role satire/cartoons play in political dialogue
- It would help to have a preliminary discussion about politics and the role of cartooning, understanding the connection between the two.
- Sift through various newspapers for a few weeks prior to beginning the activity, giving the kids exposure and understanding to the assigned task.
- Have students browse the TakingITGlobal site for an issue of interest.
- Ask each student to create a (roughly one page) satire about the issue and share it in the Student Writing section of your TIGed virtual classroom
- Have students prepare their own cartoons, by hand or using available software, and share their work in your class gallery.
- Have students comment on each other's work using TIGed's commenting features.
- Internet access