Tobacco Control Lesson 4.1: Power of the Pen
Students will create petitions addressing their biggest concern relating to tobacco globally.
This activity is part of TeenNet's Virtual Classroom on Tobacco Control. Click here access to the complete teacher's guide.
Time Required: 30 minutes
This activity is part of Section 4: Global & Social Justice ofTeenNet's Virtual Classroom on Tobacco Control. Learning objectives for this section as a whole are:
- Understanding the tobacco industry’s exploitative practices in the Global South
- Understanding “Westernization” as a marketing tool for Tobacco
- Knowledge of tobacco legislation around the world and how those who are unprotected are targeted
Written for students. You can add this directly to your class as an assignment!
Start a petition and/or letter writing campaign to your local officials addressing the issues of global and social justice with regards to tobacco.
Describe your plan of action and any updates over time in your Class Blog.
You might want to consider posting your petition in TIG's Petition Tool for a global audience.
- Encourage students to examine all the relevant materials for Section 4 of the Tobacco Control classroom before deciding on the most appropriate petition.
- Ensure students are aware of local guidelines around petition validity. These are likely available online, but this varies by location.
Access to a TIGed Virtual Classroom