Explore TakingITGlobal's collection of lesson plans, research and data, videos, and educational games! Start by selecting a subject or topic:
Students use the internet to research the negative impact TNCs have on people living in the South. Students are encouraged to critically assess their source.
Time Required: Homework assignment. Max 2 hours
For students to familiarize themselves with major TNCs and consequences people of the south experience from TNC-led development.
Expectation: For students to familiarize themselves with major TNCs and consequences people of the south experience from TNC-led development.
1. Visit a minimum of 5 of the following websites concerning TNCs. (feel free to recommend your own website).
2. Chose ONE OR TWO articles/analysis/write-ups which focus on the adverse impacts of TNC activity on:
• vulnerable social groups in the South (like indigenous groups or peasants or sweatshop/women labor)
• the environment
• implications for peace/conflict and/or human rights issues.
3. Summarize the article/s in your own words in ONE PAGE emphasizing what some of the negative impacts include AND what actions (if any) are being taken to address these adverse impacts. You must include:
• Title of article & URL
• Name of Transnational Corporation
• People the TNC has a negative impact on
• Summary of article
• How reliable is this source?
• Is this article biased?
• Opposing View Source: A source that argues the opposite of your original article.
• Proper References
• Websites of Interest (optional)
Examples: TNC and rain forests/forests; minerals/mining; oil; water; food/agribusiness; land control; GMOs; pollution; patents/seeds; war/conflict-diamonds/weapons; maquiladoras/epzs (sweatshops) etc.
Activity modified from Global Education Fall 2005, Dr. Dip Kapoor, McGill University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.