Tobacco Control Lesson 2.2: Act Up, Butt Out
Students play the role of smokers, "social smokers" and smokers trying to quit, to better understand the pressures faced by each. This activity is part of TeenNet's Virtual Classroom on Tobacco Control. Click here access to the complete teacher's guide.
Time Required: 45 minutes
This activity is part of Section 2: The Smokine Zine - Prevention & Cessation ofTeenNet's Virtual Classroom on Tobacco Control. Learning objectives for this section as a whole are:
- Understanding the social, behavioural, psychological aspects of smoking
- Understanding the financial cost of smoking
- Understanding the health costs of smoking
- Understanding the barriers/obstacles to quitting
In groups, role-play situations in which you would be tempted/pressured/encouraged/craving to smoke and explore different ways the characters can choose to act in each situation.
Vary the characters from peers who are ardent non-smokers, peers who define themselves as social smokers, and peers who are trying to quit.
- Focus on creating realistic personas, to help students fully explore the issues. Have students refer to the pages bookmarked for Section 2 in order to more realistically develop their characters.